Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fixing the ADD Brain



         I am living proof that there is hope for curing ADHD that doesn't come in the form of ADDERAL and DEXADRINE. I now believe ADHD has a cause that is reversible. There isn't one book on ADD or organization (a dirty word to us ADD'ers) I don't own and I've spent thousands of dollars on drugs and doctors. None of these things ever fixed the problem. No amount of screaming or scolding by my supportive yet unsympathetic parents ever made a difference. 

         I suffered for thirty years in silence, and as a girl felt even more alienated then your stereotypical ADD boy. Sloppy, disorganized, impulsive, rude, sarcastic, flaky, forgetful, distracted and worst of all dissatisfied with life in general. All of us have probably heard a few of these before. For an ADD'er it can be a daily occurrence.  Finally at the age of thirty I found an explanation. It is a good thing I always embodied two other helpful ADD traits, insatiable curiosity and an inability to quit.

         I don't know if it will work for everyone, but I share this with the hope that  it will end the suffering of other people with broken brains like myself.  If you haven't read Dr. Mark Hyman's book The Ultramind Solution, get it now http://drhyman.com.  I also recommend The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf http://robbwolf.com/.  These books changed my life and my brain.  However crazy it sounds, an inflamed brain and gut can cause ADHD, OCD and anxiety. What causes the inflammation you ask? Hidden food allergies and the standard american diet (SAD) of sugar, caffeine, gluten, and dairy.  

          Yes, I know it sounds out there, but I dare you goggle "leaky gut" and see how many hits you get.  The biochemistry can get complicated but Hyman is a doctor and Wolf a biochemist so believe me they have the science to back up these claims.  If you suffer from ADHD and you haven't tried an elimination diet, I highly recommend it.  Within 3 days I felt a difference and I have been gluten, dairy and legume free for 8 months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment