Search This Blog

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Do you suck at sleeping?


 I used to suck at sleeping.  My legs would twitch, my mind would race and I would agonize over getting up for any early meetings, classes or work.  I am not sure if all ADD'ers struggle with sleep, but it seems to be fairly common.  I am still not sure if it is more the drugging effects of the gluteomorphin and caseomorphin or the deficiencies in iron and magnesium that were making my sleep so unrestful.  I would awake feeling like someone had slipped me a roofie and then stumble to the coffee maker (literally) often drinking 5-6 cups of coffee a day to stay awake.  


         Since going gluten and dairy free and adding in some  Natural Calm before bed I have seen a big difference in my ability to fall asleep, and how I feel when I wake up.  I used to sleep for 9-10 hours and still not feel rested, but now I can sleep maybe 7 hours and wake without an alarm clock.  There has been a lot of hype about treating ADHD with 5-HTP.  I don't find that my sleep really improves with 100 mg of 5-HTP before bed, but I do find that I feel way better the next day.  I wake with a better attitude and tend to be happier throughout the day. 

          I am also going to experiment with a SAD lamp since I recently moved to northern California and find that I am really craving some sunshine.  My sister lives in southern England and told me that her SAD lamp really improves her mood and energy levels.  Many people seem to swear by these lamps for improving their sleep quality.  I will be posting my experience with the lamp as soon as amazon delivers it.   I can't wait.  

No comments:

Post a Comment